8 live poker strategies used by world champions
All reputable gamblers concur that live poker is one of the most entertaining casino games. Nevertheless , a lot of them find it difficult to be in line with their gameplay and can’t be profitable from playing poker.
Our casino specialists’ team has been analyzing the play type of the best poker players and concluded that all of them have a very important factor in common – they all use a live poker strategy.
This article will teach you eight live poker strategies that can turn your game from break-even to profitable. Be advised that using these pointers won’t guarantee you will become a pro over night, nevertheless they will certainly improve your gameplay. For more complex gameplay tactics, be sure you check our complete poker guide.
Read on to discover how to take your poker skills to the next level!
1. Think in ranges instead of hands
The main big difference between an amateur and a poker professional is how they think about their opponent’s hand. Beginners will always make an effort to guess their opponent’s exact hand, while pros will start from an assortment and narrow it down on the basis of the enemy’s decisions.
If you’re a complete beginner, you should know that a poker range refers to the spectrum of hands a player can have during a round. As an example, a player may have a high card, top pair, a flush, or simply bluffing. Here’s a chart showing all the possible ranges of a poker hand:
Skilled poker players know that the opponent can have this entire range. Rather than concentrating on pinpointing their exact hand, they try to find out those frequencies and make the very best decision. However , a newbie will endeavour to guess the complete hand, centered on what their guts are telling them.
If we were to offer you a single piece of advice, we would tell you that live poker strategies and trusting your intuition feeling never do well together. It might be most readily useful in the event that you never decide based on your feelings when you are playing poker. Instead, try to train with ranges, and you will instantly improve your probability of winning.
2. Never have favourite hands
Most poker players have a hand that they like to play irrespective of the circumstances. While there’s nothing wrong with that, if you’re likely to make money from playing poker, you should avoid having your favourite.
Having a card combination you depend on is a bad idea because you won’t often be in the perfect position to truly play it. Hence, you will end up losing just because you couldn’t fold your “lucky cards. ”
Remember, those live poker strategies are about logic and mathematics, not superstition and symbolistic.
3. Play fewer hands, but be aggressive
The preflop round is the important element of a poker hand because it’s enough time when you choose whether you want to continue with a specific hand or not. But playing too many hands will begin to drain your stack and knock you out of the tournament.
The trick of poker success is being patient and taking time to examine the preflop ranges. Luckily, the net is a very important resource with regards to learning live poker strategies. All you have to to do is visit a preflop chart and study it to produce something that may allow you to narrow the ranges ahead of the round starts.
Tips: If you wish to find out about aggressive live poker strategies, we recommend watching professional poker games on Youtube. You will notice that the pros will fold the majority of their hands, sometimes even if indeed they have a high card.
4. Play your strong hands fast
Beginners in many cases are afraid of forcing their opponents out from the pot, even though they've a somewhat strong hand. Consequently , they will most likely play their hand slowly and check it too often, becoming vulnerable to aggressive opponents.
Our suggestion is always to bet when you obtain a strong hand to build the pot. Obviously, there are specific situations when you're able to opt to check the strong hand:
- You’re not likely to be outdrawn;
- The range of your opponent is indicating that their hand has no showdown value;
- There aren’t many cards that will prevent you from winning on later streets.
Take note: Whenever you feel uncertain of a strong hand’s winning chance, it’s better to raise. Even if your opponents will fold, it’s less disappointing than getting outdrawn or passing up on a chance of winning a sizable pot.
5. Avoid being the first to limp
Limping is a poker slang used for players that simply call the big blind through the preflop round. If you’re the first ever to enter the pot, you should avoid doing this. Here’s why:
- Your opponents will get better pot odds, so they’re less likely to fold;
- Your chances of winning the preflop are lower than if you would have raised;
If at least one opponent has limped before you, limping is reasonable. Poker pros call this over-limping, and it can benefit you win in the event that you get good cards on the flop round considering that the pot odds increase. The best way to react to multiple players limping is always to tighten your raise range and increase sizing.
6. Only play games you know you can win
The secret of winning at poker is playing against opponents that are weaker than you. As Mike McDermott from the movie Rounders said
“If you can’t identify the sucker in the first half-hour at the table, then you’re probably the sucker. ”
The idea is easy – if you should be among the top 100 poker players in the world, you’re most likely going to be the very best at most of the tables. Nevertheless , if you join a table with the most notable five players world wide, you’re likely to be the “sucker. ”
Thus, we suggest looking for tables that you know you can win and ignore your ego that'll probably tell you that one can defeat anyone. In addition to that, you don’t have even to be better than everyone else at the table. Being more skilled than half of the players is enough to become profitable.
To make things easier for you, here’s how to identify a potentially good poker game:
- Re-raises either happen rarely or very often;
- At least one of the opponents is frequently limping;
- Plenty of multiway pots are available.
If you’re playing in a casino game that meets at least two of these conditions, you’re much more likely to create money. Contrarily, if none of those conditions are met, you ought to locate a new dining table.
Another ideal way to implement your live poker strategy is by using the statistics provided by the gaming platform, such as the average pot size and percentage of players that make it to the flop round. By having an excellent comprehension of what type of players you’re planning to face, you’ve got an actual chance of winning big.
7. Know when to fold a good hand
One of many key differences between a beginner and a pro poker player is folding a great hand. For instance , if you obtain a pair of Kings your opponent suddenly all-ins, what would you do?
Since they are emotionally attached with the high pair, newbies will often call the all-in, and there is a high chance they will lose that hand. On the other hand, poker professionals can quickly fold a good hand if they estimate that the opponent’s range surpasses theirs.
Take note: Starting with the very best poker hands (A-A or A-K) isn't always an assurance that you will win the pot. Ergo, it's important to ignore your feelings and fold if you feel that you’ll lose that hand.
8. Remember that position is crucial
Just in case you didn’t know yet, your position depends upon the dealer button, which moves clockwise after every poker hand. Ergo, your position continuously changes on a hand-to-hand basis, that will be the key reason why you shouldbe conscious of the benefits and disadvantages of every of these.
Here’s a breakdown of all the positions in a six-handed game:
- Big Blind (BB) – Located two positions to the left of the Button and has to pay the big blind;
- Small Blind (SB) – One position to the left of the Button and pays the small blind;
- Button (BTN) – Located to the right of the blinds and considered the best position at the poker table;
- Cutoff (CO) – The second-best position, situated on the right of the Button;
- Middle Position (MP) – On the right of the Cutoff, considered a medium risk position;
- Under the Gun (UTG) – the worst position since you will act first.
You are able to say that you’re “in position” when you’re either on the Button or near it, meaning you will act later during the betting rounds. Live poker is approximately collecting information, so being the last to bet means that you can make an even more informed decision when it’s your turn.
Given that you have an improved comprehension of how exactly to play more efficiently and become more profitable, it’s time for you to find out the professionals and cons of playing with live poker strategies.
Advantages and disadvantages of live poker
The thought of playing poker on line might be the most amazing for a beginner. However , understand that you don’t play your hand; you play anyone sitting next for you. But how will you be efficient in your gameplay in the event that you aren’t able to see your opponents’ faces? Well, with the proper strategies, obviously, you are able to!
As with the majority of things, playing live poker includes a set of pros and cons. Should you want to improve your win rate, it’s imperative to evaluate these when you’re choosing an online poker platform. For a more thorough analysis, we suggest checking out the best poker sites section on our site, where our experts will further explain most of the important areas of the online poker market and just how to effortlessly find a reliable platform.
Let’s find out the pros and cons of playing live poker!
- Play from anywhere – Live poker may be played from any device, including mobile and tablet, as long as it is attached to the Internet. You will find countless players from all over the globe, meaning that you will find a dining table that one can join at any time;
- Live poker bonuses – On the web platforms use promotions to incentivize their players to participate. On our site, you shall find all the available bonuses for live poker you could grab and boost your balance very quickly;
- Beginner-friendly – Playing poker at a land-based casino could be scary since most players joining the tables curently have some experience with the overall game. But in live poker, you are able to join low stakes tables where your opponents are often the same ability as you;
- Cost-efficient – Perhaps you have ever avoided joining a poker dining table as the buy-in was too high? Well, internet poker offers its players an array of buy-ins, beginning as little as $1. On top of that, you won’t have to drive to the casino; you can enter the site in the comfort of your property;
- Play multiple tables – One of many essential features of live poker is you could join more games at the same time. However , keep in mind that not totally all on line casinos allow that, so ensure you check the terms before beginning.
- Play as long as it is fun – Make sure you set a budget to manage to gamble responsibly. If you feel like the fun stopped, get in touch with a gamble aware organization;
- Lack of interaction – Poker is focused on reading the opponents and be aggressive when they make mistakes. Even if you can type in the chat or send emotes to your opponents, playing live poker won't feel like the real deal considering that the social part is mostly missing;
- Too fast – While higher level players may consider this a , the speed of the game might seem overwhelming and confusing for a complete beginner. In addition, if you’re on a losing streak, balance will be drained in no time.
Our goal is always to help players have a smooth gambling session while playing online poker. If you’ve managed to get this far, you know that there's a fine line between break-even players and profitable ones.
If you want to improve your poker game, implement the strategies tested by our casino analysts, and pay more attention to your game statistics. In this manner, it is possible to become more analytical and understand the key reason why you lose. All the best, and don’t forget to leave your emotions and concentrate on the maths!